Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sizzlin' Advertisement

So I and some coworkers went to Sizzler on our lunch break a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't been to a Sizzler in over a decade, as far as I can remember. And that was back when there were two Sizzlers on the same street within two blocks of each other near my house. What??? Only Starbucks is allowed to do that!

For those three of you who don't know what Sizzler is, it's a standard American lunch and dinner type place that is most known for having a relatively affordable all-you-can-eat salad bar. Since we didn't have time for all-you-can-eat (it was our lunch break after all), I just got the grilled hibachi chicken with fries entrée and one trip to the salad bar, which was their $7.99 lunch special. Okay, so far so good. I piled my plate up with about six different kinds of salad and other appetizers.

Through most of the meal I was either talking with my coworkers or glancing at ESPNews on one of their several strategically-placed TVs. But I noticed something odd out of the corner of my eye. Near the entrance, mounted directly over the cashiers' table, was another TV just like the others.

Wait, just like the others? No, not quite. Earlier I had thought that whatever channel this TV was showing had been on commercial break. But the more I watched it, the more I realized, all it was showing was a commercial break! In other words, there was a continuous loop of a Sizzler advertisement showing inside Sizzler! It showed tender, succulent shrimp, steak, and other things hot off the grill as well as close-up footage of fresh vegetables in a juicy tossed salad. Have you ever seen this tactic before anywhere?

Come on. I'm already inside. You already have my money. I'm already eating your food. Is it really necessary to play a video showing what I'd be able to partake in, if only I considered dining at Sizzler? Hello, what do you think I'm doing right now?

I think it was false advertisement too. When my hibachi chicken came it was cold, dry, and kind of tough.

Posted with LifeCast

1 comment:

  1. Haha usually when I go to sizzler, I get the salad bar and the cheesy bread. It seems pretty good when I am eating it, but then I always feel funny afterwards :/ Also, I don't think sizzler commercials are all that great...that is a weird how they do that

    ReplyDelete